Brian J. Gatchel
Meet our Lawyers
Brian is from Lexington, Ky. He is licensed to practice before all state and federal courts in North Carolina. He is a member of the North Carolina Council of School Attorneys, the Construction Law, Education Law, and Estate Planning sections of the North Carolina Bar Association, and the Real Property, Trust, and Estate Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Throughout his practice, Brian has been fascinated with how the various branches of government interact with citizens. That interest is currently fulfilled by being entrusted as general counsel to the Craven County Board of Education and the Arapahoe Charter School. He also consults as outside counsel with the Pitt County Board of Education, as well as handling special litigation matters for the North Carolina School Board Trust.
In addition to representing governmental entities from our New Bern, N.C., office, Brian’s practice emphasizes commercial and residential real estate, small business law, wills, and estate planning.
Brian has published a law journal article discussing when governments must answer to citizens in the courts in “Informational and Procedural Standing After Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife,” 11 J. Land & Envtl. L. 75 (1995), which was cited by the Supreme Court of Hawaii in “Sierra Club v. Hawaii Tourism Authority,” 59 P3d 877 (2002), and multiple law professors in other academic articles.
Brian earned his law degree from the University of Kentucky in 1995. He also earned a Masters of Science in library and information science from the University of Kentucky in 1992 and his undergraduate degree from Davidson College in 1990.
- Division 1 soccer player, 1990-1991
- Brian is a married father of two children who believes service in his community is an integral part of his responsibilities
- Former sitting Elder at New Bern First Presbyterian Church
- Member of the New Bern First Presbyterian Church Personnel Committee
- New Bern First Presbyterian Church Sunday school lead
- Member of the Craven Community College Foundation Board
- National “D” girls and boys soccer coach
- Successfully represented real estate and construction companies in commercial litigation.
- Negotiated numerous employment agreements for governmental officials, physicians, business and non-profit executives.
- Closed the purchase and sale of businesses and commercial real estate, including hotels, medical practices, a golf course and restaurants.
- Established commercial and residential condominiums as well as residential subdivisions.