Sherwood C. “Chris” Henderson
Meet our Lawyers
Chris was born in New Bern, N.C., in September of 1970. He is licensed to practice before all North Carolina State Courts, as well as the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. Chris is also licensed to practice in the State of Georgia, although currently on inactive status due to the location of his practice in North Carolina. He is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Eighth Judicial District Bar Association, and the Georgia State Bar.
Chris’s practice is concentrated in the areas of tax, qualified retirement plans, estate planning, estate administration, business planning, corporations and limited liability companies. He is a Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law as designated by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.
Chris graduated from Davidson College in 1992 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Spanish. He attended the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law at Campbell University and received his law degree in 1996.
Chris received his Master of Laws (LL.M.) in taxation from the Villanova University School of Law in 1997.
- Board Certified Specialist — Estate Planning and Probate Law – NC State Bar (2013)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2009)
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries (ASPPA) Certified Pension Consultant (CPC) Credential (2008)
- North Carolina State Bar – Estate Planning and Probate Specialty Committee (2018 – 2021 Member) (2021 – 2024 Vice Chair)
- North Carolina Bar Association – Featured Speaker – Advanced Estate Planning Survey Course (2018, 2021)
- Trust Advisors Institute (formerly “Southeastern Trust School”), Campbell University – Featured Speaker – Income Taxation of Trusts and Estates (2016 – 2019, 2022)
- Trust Advisors Annual Forum, Campbell University – Featured Speaker – Defined Contribution Plan Terminations (2010)
- Member – First Presbyterian Church of New Bern
- Assisted numerous clients with the formation of business entities, including choice of entity, and tax and legal issues associated with formation and operation.
- Assisted tax-exempt organization with relocation to/domestication in North Carolina.
- Assisted estate planning clients preserving community property status of assets in relocation to North Carolina.
- Assisted Executor with filing Form 706 United States Estate Tax Return in order to make the Portability Election.
- Assisted client with trust decanting matter pursuant to §NCGS 36C-8-816.1.
- Assisted clients with amendment/restatement of safe harbor §401(k) plan.
- Assisted numerous clients with the drafting of wills (including estate tax planning), durable powers of attorney (including gifting powers), health care powers of attorney and living wills.